Sunday, August 30, 2009

Spicy Potato Thokku

U would have prepared potatoes as podimas, roast or masala, but as thokku??.. yea this potato thokku was one of my first cooking experience and this potato thokku tastes between spicy potato roast and potato masala coz the ingredients i used in this dish, almost goes for the ingredients we usually used to prepare either roast or masala...I can definitely say that i was the one who created as i prepared this dish without any knowledge..I prepared this dish accidently before long back...At that time, i was doing my college and my mom went to grandma's village urgently for some family problems and she left us without preparing anything for our lunch.. While doing my college in pondicherry i'll go to my college, only for afternoon session in a famous Women's college so without wasting my morning time i'll go to stitching class, shorthand class and typewriting class..i usually start my daily classes from 9am and will come back home only at 11am every day..

On that particular day, i came back earlier from my stitching class and my dad asked me to prepare lunch, i was really surprised and shocked when dad said that mom went urgently to grandma's village, anyhow i took really our lunch for a challenge and went to prepare rasam, as i  know how to prepare rasam coz  my mom usually have a box of home made rasam powder..without any problem i prepared immediately rasam and kept rice in pressure cooker, while for side dish i want to prepare something special with potatoes as we love potatoes much..i really want to make out potato roast and started the cooking 1kg of potatoes in hot water, and i started chopping onion, tomatoes,also prepared ginger garlic paste, fresh coconut milk etc..I started peeling the cooked potato skin and smashed it and i sauteed onions, tomatoes and ginger garlic paste and cooked until the raw smell goes away, then i added the smashed potatoes with red chilly powder,salt and coconut milk , i cooked everything very fast.. but instead of getting potato roast i got a mushy potato roast..I served this mushy potato roast with rasam to my dad..he had his lunch very happily,and he said that he was very proud for my cooking and he went out...after hearing my dad's words, i was really excited and kept aside a large bowl of this potato roast for my mom.. but she started scolding once she saw that large bowl of potato roast as i wasted all the potatoes she left in her vegetable basket.. I still remember how she scolded me for that mushy potato roast...I slowly learned cooking from my mom, now cooking was one of my passion and really enjoy cooking variety of dishes..Am sending this spicy potato thokku which really took an important place in our menu to Shama's First Cooked Food Experience Event also to Viki's Side dish for chapathis...


2nos Potatoes (big)
1/2cup Onion (chopped)
1no Tomato (chopped)
1tsp Ginger garlic paste
1/2tsp Fennel seed powder
2tbsp Coconut milk
1tsp Red chilly powder
5nos Curry leaves
Salt
Oil

Heat oil in a kadai and add the chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, saute for a while and add the ginger garlic paste, fennel seed powder, saute until the oil get separates, meanwhile cook the potatoes and smash them slightly..

Add the smashed potatoes, red chilly powder and salt to the cooking masala and cook everything in simmer for few minutes with lid closed , add the coconut milk and curry leaves to the potatoes..cook the potatoes until the oil get separates..

Serve this potato thokku as side dish for rice and rotis..

13 comments:

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

Looks delicious and it was nice to read about your first cooking experience. Why not potato thokku, so many dishes wouldn't have come up if there weren't any innovative minds behind them?

Nandinis food said... Reply To This Comment

Thokku is appetizing! It was nice reading your the-first-time cooking experience! :D

Valarmathi Sanjeev said... Reply To This Comment

Looks yummy and delicious.

Sushma Mallya said... Reply To This Comment

looks delicious and adding coconut milk gives a nice flavour to it...

Vrinda said... Reply To This Comment

Looks delish..liked the addition of coconut milk...

Hari Chandana P said... Reply To This Comment

Wowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!
Mouth watering thokku... Looks gr8.. thanks for sharing!!

VIDYA VENKY said... Reply To This Comment

thatz a superb innovative recipe

kittymatti said... Reply To This Comment

Lovely recipe..actually i love potatoes in any form! bookmarked!

Indhu said... Reply To This Comment

lovely recipe... whenever my dad makes potato, he always makes them smashed :)

priya said... Reply To This Comment

I wud like to gift u an award,dear...plz collect it frm my blog!

Gita Jaishankar said... Reply To This Comment

The curry looks so good Priya...it should have tasted Heavenly with rasam...your dad must have been very proud :)

Unknown said... Reply To This Comment

delicious looking potato thokku mmmm mouthwatering.

Ambika said... Reply To This Comment

Hey Priya, the thokku looks so gooood!! Are you from pondicherry, I love that place, also cuz my grandparents live in thirunallar, near karaikal, and we used to visit them every summer. I love the bus ride from chennai to pondy along the ECR road, gorgeous, right!!!